There is a test at the website: http://netaddiction.com/ that could help you evaluate this situation.

For additional information, check our website at http://www.health.arizona.edu.

If you have never been seen before at CAPS, (or it has been more than 6 months since your last visit), your first visit will be with the Triage Counselor. There is a nominal fee for this initial Triage session at CAPS.  There is a charge for follow-up counseling visits, medication evaluations, groups, and other services.  A complete fee schedule is available at the CAPS reception desk or you may call 520-621-3334 for this information. While you do not need insurance to be seen at CAPS, most charges are reduced for students who have the Arizona Board of Regents Student Health Insurance administered by Aetna, Campus Care coverage or most Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance policies.

All visits are confidential.  No notation is made on the student’s academic record, and no information can be released regarding visits to CAPS unless the student provides a signed release.  Under certain circumstances, such as life-threatening situations, minors reporting child abuse, and certain legal subpoenas, there are legal limits to confidentiality.

For additional information, check our website at http://www.health.arizona.edu

The Oasis Center for Sexual Assault and Relationship Violence was established to provide a variety of direct services to students, staff and faculty of the University of Arizona who are impacted by sexual assault and relationship violence.  All services are confidential, require no fee and are available Monday through Friday.


- Walk-in and telephone assistance

- Crisis counseling and safety planning

- Information and referral regarding campus and community resources

- Review of legal, medical and counseling options

- Facilitation of confidential reporting

Educational Training

- Orientations, classroom presentations and departmental trainings

- Special workshops for residence halls, campus organizations and clubs

You may contact Oasis by calling 520-626-2051 or by visiting http://sexualassault.arizona.edu

Check out the following websites:

The Center for Student Involvement & Leadership offers students the opportunity to discover their leadership potential.  For more information, visit http://leadership.arizona.edu

For information regarding the University Activities Board, visit http://www.union.arizona.edu/involvement/activities/

For information regarding the Student Recreation Center and/or Intramural Sports, visit http://campusrec.arizona.edu

Most of us have experienced brief episodes of depression in our lives. Depression that lingers is likely to require professional intervention.  Depression may be precipitated by a significant loss:  loss of a loved one, loss of a special role in life, loss of physical ability due to illness or injury, loss of self-esteem after failing to reach an important goal.  Perfectionism, setting unrealistically high goals, or expecting to be in control of everything in our lives, can set us up for depression.  Some common signs of depression include:

- Persistent sadness, excessive crying

- Social withdrawal

- Feeling helpless, hopeless, worthless

- Chronic fatique

- Difficulty concentrating and remembering

- Anger, irratbility

- Sleep/appetite problems

Your son may look to you as a role model, and may view you as a major resource for guidance and help with his problem.  Your willingness to be there—to listen, to support and encourage, to share your knowledge and experience, to advise—plays a significant role in your son’s persistence and success.  Discuss with your son the option of coming to Counseling and Psych Services (CAPS) and speaking with a professional who can help.  Your son may be skeptical and reluctant to seek this help.  It is important for you to accept his reaction, while calmly repeating your recommendation.

Professional staff is available every day.  Please feel free to call CAPS at 520-621-3334 for any questions that you may have on how to expedite the referral.


- Has your son/daughter’s personality changed noticeably and are there sudden inappropriate mood changes (irritability, unprovoked hostility or giddiness)?

- Does your son/daughter seem to be losing old friends and hanging out with a drinking or partying group?

- Are you missing money or items that could be converted to cash?

- Is your liquor supply dwindling-are you sure it’s not evaporating or turning into colored water?  What about your pills?

- Is your son/daughter in trouble with the law?

- Are there signs of medical or emotional problems (ulcers, gastritis, liver problems, depression, overwhelming anxiety, suicide talk or gestures)?

- Do you find obvious signs such as a stash of bottles, beer cans or drug paraphernalia in the bedroom, basement, or garage?

- Do you detect physical signs such as alcohol on the breath, pupil change, redness of eyes, slurred speech or staggering?

- Has your son/daughter’s sleeping and/or eating habits changed?

- Have your son/daughter’s relationships with other family members deteriorated?  Is he or she withdrawn or uncommunicative?

- Has your son/daughter experimented with alcohol/and or drugs?

- Is your son/daughter concerned about his or her use of alcohol, or other drugs including marijuana?

If YES is the answer to several of these questions, then there are some strong indications that your son or daughter may be in trouble with alcohol, marijuana, or other drugs.  Beware, however, of your own prejudices, or your own emotions and attitudes influencing your answers.

Ask yourself:  (when your son/daughter is at home)

- Am I being objective and factual about my son/daughter’s behavior?

- Do I know my son/daughter’s friends and their parents?

- When my son/daughter goes “out”, do I know where he/she goes and what he/she does?

- Do I set a good example by not using alcohol or drugs inappropriately?

- Do I have honest, open, factual, unemotional discussions about alcohol and drugs with my son/daughter?

- Do I really understand the problem that my son/daughter faces in today’s society?

Ask yourself:  (when your son/daughter is away at school)

- Have I made it clear to my son/daughter that underage alcohol consumption is against the law?

- Have I set clear and realistic expectations about academic performance with my son/daughter?

- Have I become informed about alcohol/drug use on campus and discussed this with my son/daughter?

- Have I stressed to my son/daughter the dangers of alcohol poisoning?

- Have I encouraged my son/daughter to become involved in other campus activities such as joining a club or intramural sport?

If YES is the answer to these questions, then there are strong indications that your relationship with your son or daughter is constructive.

On Campus, help is available for further questions or concerns you or your son or daughter may have.  Call Parents Matter at Counseling and Psych Services, 520-621-3334, or call Health Promotion and Preventive Services at 520-621-6483. A certified professional counselor will be available to speak with you regarding assessment of options and treatment needs.

Ask your daughter to talk to you about how it is to be at the University and what her days have been like. Listen to what she has to say without giving advice or solutions right away. Just let her talk to you about what's going on and how she's dealing with things. Ask her what she worries about and what she thinks might help her. Let her know that going to college is a big change and that stress is natural in this situation. Adjusting to being away from home, having to make decisions for herself, and trying to figure everything out takes time, maybe several weeks. Encourage her to have fun and to begin to develop friendships with people she can talk to. Tell her that you have faith in her and that you support her and will be there for her. Ask her to stay in touch with you on a regular basis. If she continues to have problems adjusting or feeling overwhelmed, direct her to CAPS where she can talk to someone about her stress.

For additional information on CAPS, check out our website at http://www.health.arizona.edu.

Check the following:

Disability Resource Center, University of Arizona homepage:  http://drc.arizona.edu

ADHD information can be found on this CAPS link: http://www.health.arizona.edu/counseling-and-psych-services

You can get general information on services available, learning disabilities, and attention deficit disorders, including a list of Tucson area providers who can do initial or updated testing to document the type of problem or need and recommended resources or learning accommodations.

Also check S.A.L.T.:  Strategic Alternative Learning Techniques homepage:  http://salt.arizona.edu

Taking Steps Toward Help:

  1. Acknowledge the problem.

  2. Choose the avenue to begin by calling for information from the professional of your choice:

    Therapist       520-621-3334 
    Physician        520-621-9202 
    Nutritionist     520-621-9202

  3. Discuss your concerns and goals honestly with them.

    Establish a reasonable treatment plan together.

  4. Have patience and be gentle with yourself; you have taken a big step towards peace.

Team Philosophy

We know that eating issues and related problems can be complex with both psychological and physical components.  We provide an interdisciplinary team of professionals who can work together with you towards your goals.  Our professional team includes therapists, physicians, a nutritionist and a psychiatrist.  We meet regularly to collaborate on the care of the students we are working with, and we consult with each other, as needed, to provide comprehensive care.

The Eating Issues Team physicians can help your student evaluate their health risks associated with dieting, binging, purging, laxative use and restrictive eating.  Counseling and Psych Services offers assessments, short-term individual counseling, psychiatric consults and referrals.  Individual consultations are available for students seeking nutrition and fitness assistance, body composition testing, diet analysis and education from our Eating Issues Team nutritionist.

Sometimes seeking help can be difficult to do, and we understand.  We attempt to work with students and their to set goals that are comfortable for them.  We will work with you or refer you to an outside therapist that specializes in eating issues.

For more information try this link: http://www.focusas.com/BodyImage.html